- This event has passed.
PVP Democrats Monthly Meeting
May 26, 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
This month, we will have 4 items in our program:
- Kimberly Ellis, Executive Director of Emerge California since 2010, became well known in 2017 when she narrowly lost the chairmanship for the California State Party to then LA County Democratic Party Chairman Eric Bauman. Ellis formerly served on the California Democratic Party Finance Committee and also on the California Democratic Party’s African American Caucus as Recording Secretary.
Kimberly is running once again for the California State Party Chair. Elections will be held at the State Party Convention in San Francisco, May 31 thru June 2.
- A representative from the California Clean Money Campaign will talk about their mission is to achieve an open and accountable government in California by building statewide support for public funding of election campaigns.
- Attendees who were members of the Palos Verdes Democrats on February 1, 2019 will be voting on the next Board of Directors. This year, we are lucky to have more board candidates than we have positions, so we will be voting on two contested positions.
- Our club is accredited by the Los Angeles County and California State Parties, and we must have by-laws consistent with their guidelines. We will be proposing two changes to our by-laws which will require a majority vote by the attending members.
For more details on the last two items, please see the details below.
If you are a current member of the Palos Verde Democrats, please read on:
In accordance with our club by-laws, the Board of Directors created a Nominating Committee which is tasked with naming a slate of candidates for the 2019-2020 Board of Directors for the Palos Verdes Democrats.
The Nominating Committee is made up of Carol Moeller (Chair), Reggie Jue (Current Board Member), and Fraser Perkins. The committee is proposing the following candidates for the 2019-2020 Board of Directors:
|Board Position||2018-2019 Board Member||2019-20 Board Candidates|
|President||Rascha Hall||Rascha Hall
|President Emeritus||Lynn Bommer||Lynn Bommer|
|1st Vice President||Randall Klinenberg||Kathy Bradford|
|2nd Vice President||Joseph Lopez||Ann Nye
|Recording Secretary||Kathy Bradford||Asha Shahed|
|Arline Korb||Arline Korb|
|Treasurer||Al Shadbourne||Al Shadbourne|
|Membership||Irene Silver||Irene Silver|
|Publicity||Nancie Silver||Nancie Silver|
|Newsletter Editor||Tex Yamada
|Web Master||Reggie Jue||Reggie Jue|
There are two Board positions in which there are two candidates for one office; accordingly, there will be a secret paper ballot during the May meeting to select the President and 2nd Vice President.
Lastly, the PV Democrats is a chartered Democratic Club under the LACDP, and as such, our club by-laws must meet a set of guidelines dictated by both the County and State organizations. Accordingly, the club membership must vote on the following proposed updates to our by-laws. The by-laws require a two week notification prior to a vote, so the vote for these changes will take place during the May meeting:
Notice of Proposed Changes to the Palos Verdes Democrats By-Laws
In the Palos Verdes Democrats By-Laws Amended 8/21/2016, make the following 2 changes:
Is: 11.1 The Club shall submit a roster of Members in Good Standing as of the July 1 CDP deadline.
Change to: 11.1 The Club shall submit a roster of Members in Good Standing per the CDP deadline specified in the Manual of Operation.
Is: [2.1] b. Persons who are registered as NPP (No Party Preference) are also eligible to become members, with the exception they may not participate in club voting.
Change to: [2.1] b. Persons who are registered as NPP (No Party Preference) are also eligible to become members, with the following exceptions: NPP members
- may not participate in club voting.
- may not represent the club in pre-endorsement caucuses
- may not be considered as part of the membership numbers reported to CADEM.