By Caryl Schwartz —
We defied history in the Midterm Elections, there was no shellacking of Democrats. We gained a Senate seat in Pennsylvania!
LOCAL ELECTIONS MATTER:
All three Democratic Endorsed Candidates have won their races. Congratulations to Paul Seo, RPV City Council, Dr. Sara Dean and Ami Gandhi PVPUSD Board, Harold Williams West Basin Municipal Water District and Karen Bass in the LA City Mayoral Race.
Thank you to all the Activists that contributed to their success by distributing door hangers, displaying lawn signs and making phone calls.
BUT: Activism doesn’t end on November 8. The Run-off Race between Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.) and Republican Herschel Walker is scheduled for December 6. Neither candidate cleared 50 percent required in Georgia to win the November 8 election. Winning this will ensure a Democratic majority of +1 in the Senate.
Here’s why Warnock winning his Senate seat is so critical:
1. No power sharing – Dems have a majority on all committees, meaning that legislative process and judicial confirmation process goes faster without republicans blocking. This is crucial to combat right wing extremism in the courts.
2. Limit the obstructionism of Krysten Sinema and Joe Manchin.
3. Subpoena power.
4. Protects senate majority if a senator passes away or Sinema/Manchin switch parties.
5. Frees up VP Kamala Harris for other work since she no longer needs to be a tie breaker in the senate.
6. Georgia voters should be represented by a senator who will fight for them (i.e. the $2000 check that Warnock helped push through once he won).
7. Higher likelihood to pass bills like John Lewis Voting rights act, George Floyd police reform act, Codifying Roe, bring back and expand child tax credit.
8. Warnock is a true bipartisan. He has worked across the aisle to get legislation passed, i.e. designating I-14 as a high priority corridor to boost the economy and reduce congestion in the Inflation Reduction Act.
9. This is a six year term! It could ensure another democratic seat in the senate for another 6 years and 2024 will be a hard senate map to win.
10. Values and personal character are important in our leaders.
11. The appointment of federal judges.
Check out the From the Activism Chair tab on our website for actions you can take.
Happy Holidays to All!