By Connie Sullivan —
On the weekend before Thanksgiving, November 19-20, the executive board of the California Democratic Party held their fall meeting.
As with all these meetings and with the annual convention, the Sunday general session is when the body votes on committee reports brought forward by each committee that met over the previous few days.
At this session, much of the time was consumed by rules and bylaws changes suggested by the Rules Committee. These were entirely clean-up, clarification changes.
The Resolutions Committee brought five resolutions for adoptions. They were:
- Resolution on Regulation Harmful Social Media Algorithms,
- Extended Time for Americans with Disabilities to Speak During California Local Government Meetings
- Resolution to Provide Additional Relief Funding for Transit Service
- Resolution Affirming that Members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (“AAPI”) Community Are American
- Solidarity with the People of Iran and Commemorating Zhina (Masha) Amini
If you would like to read these resolutions, you can find them on the CADEM.org website.
All were adopted.
The Legislation Committee brought three federal bills that will be considered in the Lame Duck session for our support. They are:
- 4787 -Afghan Adjustment Act – Klobuchar
- 4345 -Simplifying and Strengthening Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act – Whitehouse
- 4556 – Respect for Marriage Act – Feinstein
All were supported by the body.
There was a joint report from the Rules Committee and the JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) Committee on the new regional organization for our party. This was necessitated by the redistricting of Assembly districts after the 2020 Census.
Our Assembly District (66, Muratsuchi) will fall in the new Region 18 along with districts 55 (Bryan), 57 (Jones-Sawyer), and 61 (McKinnor). Currently our Regional Director is Sergio Carrillo. The new regions were adopted by the body.
The Organizing Committee presented a report of the activities of the CADEM Organizing Department over the course of the November 8 campaign season.
- Over 3 million calls to voters, resulting in over 64,ooo conversations with voters.
- 2 Million text messages
- 12 college rallies and events across California with over 2000 students involved int eh planning and facilitating
- Over 7,000 volunteer shifts
And the work is unfinished with the Georgia runoff underway. Volunteers are needed to make phone calls and to go to Georgia (CADEM will provide lodging). Check out CADEM Mobilize for information.
The report was received and filed.
The meeting was adjourned in memory of a number of prominent Democrats who died since the last meeting, most prominent among them was Roz Wyman.
Leave a Reply