By Caryl Schwartz —
As the Chair of the newly formed Activism Committee, I want to share PV Dems priorities for the upcoming elections. We will be focusing on the newly redistricted CA Congressional District (CD) 45 and local elections. In CD 45, Democrat Jay Chen is running against Republican incumbent Michelle Steel. The race is considered a toss-up. Jay needs our help to get across the finish line. In 2022, Trumpian Michelle Steel voted AGAINST the following key legislation:
- Inflation Reduction Act
- PACT Act (VA care and benefits for victims of Burn Pits and other toxins)
- CHIPS and Science Act funding for US Semiconductor and Chips manufacturing to bring it back from China — NOTE: this is a national security issue – Kingston Industries, largest Chip manufacturer in US, is located in Steel’s district
- Cutting prescription drug costs by allowing the Federal Government to negotiate Medicare drug prices directly with Pharmaceutical Companies
- Affordable Insulin Now Act (caps cost of Insulin at $35 per month)
- Violence Against Women Act
- Right to Contraception Act
- Infant Formula Supplemental Appropriation Act
- American Rescue Plan (Clean Energy investments)
The list is considerably longer, but you get the idea. Michelle Steel consistently votes against her constituents’ best interests.
I encourage you to join our Monday phone banks and Saturday canvassing.
- Sign up for Mondays to Phone Bank with PV Dems for Jay Chen, in-person event, 2:30PM – 4:30PM – https://www.mobilize.us/cadems/event/496551/
- Sign-Up for Saturdays to Canvas in Fountain Valley, 3 shifts available 9-12, 12-3, 3-6 – https://www.mobilize.us/cadems/event/496624/
Local Races Matter!!! The School Board elections are very contentious and 4 out of 5 Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District (PVPUSD) Board seats are open. Ed First PV, a group that has endorsed four candidates in the PVPUSD race, is twisting the facts with its misinterpretation of the school district’s financial data, distortion of academic performance and opposition to sensible precautions to protect our teachers, school workers and students from Covid. At the recent Chamber of Commerce Candidate Forum (Sept 12) several of the Ed First PV endorsed candidates stated they voted against the recent School Bond. You can view a recording of the forum at https://www.youtube.com/
Here are the LACDP Peninsula endorsed Candidates. Please visit the candidate’s website to learn more, volunteer, donate or get a yard sign.
Paul Seo for RPV City Council: https://www.votepaulseo.com
Dr. Sara Deen for PVPUSD: https://www.drsaradeen.com/
Ami Gandhi for PVPUSD: https://www.gandhi4pv.com/committees.html
VOLUNTEER to hang door-hangers on the Peninsula — PV Dems will have 2000 door-hangers to distribute to households in the district with our endorsed candidates’ names. We will need volunteers to assist in the effort. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help hang door-hangers.