By Ann Nye —
NOTE: A video of the meeting can be seen after this article. Some video times are annotated within the article.
The meeting began with an updated announcement about our Nominating Committee and new Recording Secretary.
Kathy Bradford, PV Dems President, announced the appointment of member Casey Crowe for Recording Secretary. He has volunteered to replace Asha Shahed, who has moved out of the area.
Kathy also announced that Newsletter Editor Fraser Perkins will be stepping aside as editor at the end of his term and asked for volunteers who may be interested in his position.
- Come hear from the candidates and learn how you can get involved EVEN IF YOU DON’T LIVE IN TORRANCE
- This event will be outside on a large, private patio at Strand Brewing in Torrance
- Drink tickets will be provided for attendees and a food truck will be onsite
- The event starts at 12pm with the forum beginning at 12:30pm
- Come at noon, grab a drink and get a good seat
SAVE the DATE for our March 20, 2022 VIRTUAL meeting. Mohit Chhabra, Senior Scientist, Climate & Clean Energy Program for the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) will speak on the challenges of CA meet its zero emissions goal with renewable energy and the complexities of the net metering controversy.
SAVE the DATE for our April 24, 2022 VIRTUAL meeting. Please note, we originally scheduled this meeting for April 17 as an in-person meeting at the Peninsula Library Community Room. Then we realized April 17 is Easter Sunday, so we decided to move it a week later to April 24. Alas, the library’s community room was booked on this day and thus, April 24 will be a virtual meeting, too. Garbology author Edward Humes will speak about recycling (including food waste) and its impact to climate change
07:53: Before the speakers’ program
Candidates for LA County Superior Court Judge introduced themselves – Melissa Hammond – seat 118, Melissa Lyons – seat 90, and Keth Koyano – seat TBD. Also, we had both of our water gurus present – Harold Williams, West Basin Municipal Water District (MWD) Director, and Robert Katherman, Division 2 Director of the Water Replenishment District (WRD). Williams’ term will be up for re-election in Nov 2022; Katherman’s term ends in Dec 2024.
11:45: After our speakers’ program
We gave a shout-out to the Torrance Refinery Action Alliance (TRAA) in making the news with Supervisor Janice Hahn’s call on Governor Newsom and the Attorney General to take action and mobilize the County Deparments to effect a conversion from MHF to a safer alternative process.
We highlighted our “Focus of the Month” Action with Umesh Ketkar, from Indivisible/Swing Left South Bay (ISBLA). However, Umesh was unable to make the meeting at the last minute, so we presented the group’s priorities in his absence:
- Elect left-of-center candidates in local races, starting with June race for Torrance Mayor, followed by Palos Verdes elections in November
- Defeat Michelle Steel for U.S. House district CA-45 (likely Democratic candidate: Jay Chen)
- Help Democrats win big in Arizona, including re-electing Senator Mark Kelly, winning the governorship and other statewide offices, winning U.S. House seats, and winning control of both houses of the AZ legislature
33:48: At the very end of our meeting, Ron Galperin, candidate for State Controller visited our meeting to say a few words about why he’s running. Galperin is currently LA’s Controller and you can see his accomplishments at – https://lacontroller.org/data-stories-and-maps
Here are the PV Dems January expenditures as reported by Treasurer Al Shadbourne:
|Annual State Fee