The governing body of the California Democratic Party is the Democratic State Central Committee (DSCC) which is made up of approximately 3,200 – 3,600 delegates. Delegates come from one of three different paths:
- Elections of members of the County Central Committees
- Appointment by Elected Officials
- Elections of Democrats in each Assembly District (AD)
Elections of delegates in the 3rd category usually take place at Assembly District Election Meetings (ADEMs); however, these are not usual times, and election in January will be vote-by-mail. You must apply for a ballot by Monday, January 11 in order to vote in these elections!
The new system will incorporate the following features:
- Elimination of all in-person voting for the 2021 ADEMs.
- A deadline to request a vote-by-mail application – Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST.
- All Voters MUST apply for a vote-by-mail ballot by registering to vote or applying to run via an online form.
- NOTE: If a person does not have the ability to request a vote-by-mail ballot online, they can request a ballot by emailing (email@example.com) or by an ADEM election call-in phone line (#TBD) that will be managed by the Regional Director.
- The vote-by-mail ballot will be mailed to the residential address or the voter’s mailing address that is listed on their voting record.
- NOTE: If you have a mailing address listed on your voter registration record different from the address you are registered at, we will automatically mail your ballot to the mailing address listed on your voting record. We cannot change your voting record to reflect another mailing address outside of your voting record.
- All participants must be verified as a California Democrat registered in the Assembly District before receiving a vote-by-mail ballot.
- An alternative method to request a vote-by-mail ballot will be included for unhoused individuals in this process.
For more infomation about delegates, see the January 2021 Newsletter article by Connie Sullivan.
For more information about the process, visit the CADEM website.
Leave a Reply