Americans with Conscience Checklist
Another resource I can’t recommend highly enough is Jen Hoffman’s Americans with Conscience Checklist. It is an extremely succinct list of weekly actions, top new items, inspirational thoughts and other information. As she notes: The intention of this weekly checklist is to make clear, hype-free suggestions for action for Americans who care about democracy and justice.
The Checklist includes both Action Items across a range of issues (Voting integrity, Civil rights, Immigration) as well as Acts of Gratitude– sending messages of thanks for leaders doing the right things.
I’ve included a recent sample of the Americans with Conscience Checklist below.
You can find the Checklist at https://jenniferhofmann.com/home/weekly-action-checklist-democrats-independents-republicans-conscience/
Sign up to receive it weekly in your inbox on her website in this section
Americans of Conscience Action Checklist
Week of November 19, 2017
By Jen Hofmann
54 weeks down, 50 weeks to mid-term elections. It’s the checklist’s one-year anniversary!
This checklist features clear, hype-free actions for Americans who value democracy, equality, voting, and decency. Additionally, we practice gratitude, self-care, and celebration to stay engaged. Urgent actions are highlighted in yellow.
I value equality.
Stand with your neighbors of different genders, religions, races, ethnicities, cultures, sexual orientations, economic statuses, ages, and abilities. E pluribus unum.
Action: Stand with Native American tribes defending Bears Ears National Monument.
Read: The history of this sacred land.
Email: Your 3 MoCs.
Script: Dear Sen./Rep. [name], The president cannot un-designate a National Monument, only Congress can. Please protect Bears Ears National Monument and vote against any bill carving up this sacred land for profit.
Donate: Support the non-profit legal team opposing the Zinke/Trump land grab.
Action: Advocate for the rights of our hardworking, low-income neighbors.
Call: Your 2 senators (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP], calling about the Republican tax plan. I want to advocate for Americans making less than $30,000 per year. Increasing their tax rate while defunding important programs that support them is wrong. Estate tax rollbacks and breaks for private jet companies add insult to injury. Please tell Sen. [name] that I don’t want a tax break that hurts people in need. Thank you.
Bonus: Consider participating in Indivisible’s Nov. 27 Day of Action.
Action: Advocate for the safety of Americans of color by holding violent white supremacists accountable.
Call: Your 2 senators—Republicans especially (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] calling to ask Sen. [name] to co-sponsor new legislation by Sen. Dick Durbin. The Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act (S. 2148) holds white supremacists accountable, tracks data on violence, and helps prevent lethal events. With violent extremism on the rise, and the president cutting programs that prevent domestic terrorism, this bill is necessary to save lives. Does [name] plan to protect Americans and co-sign this bill?
Action: Advocate for better police training to serve sexual assault victims.
Write (again): Your chief of police (Google “chief of police [town, state]”).
Script: I am a resident of [town] writing to advocate for victims of sexual violence in our community. Research shows that rape victims’ memories are impaired by trauma, leading police to mistrust and discredit their accounts. To better serve and protect, I would like your department to use effective questioning that leads to justice. Certified training is available at no cost from End Violence Against Women International and benefits officers, sexual assault victims, and our community. I look forward to your response on this important issue.
Bonus: Edit this message as a Letter to the Editor in your local paper.
I value secure, convenient voting and fair elections.
Democracy thrives when all citizens can freely elect those who represent their values.
Action: Help voters get necessary ID to vote next fall.
Donate: to Spread the Vote. Your contribution helps vulnerable voters afford required ID, get transportation to and from the DMV, and apply for missing documents like birth certificates.
Action: Urge Shelby to act on transparency in campaign ad funding.
Write: Chair of the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration: Sen. Richard Shelby, 304 Russell SOB, Washington, DC 20510
Script: In the wake of the 2016 election, two bills have been introduced that would protect American voting from foreign influence. However, I noticed that the R&A committee has not moved on them. Please protect the integrity of our vote and move forward on S. 1989 (Honest Ads Act) and S. 1585 (DISCLOSE Act). Thank you.
I value the ethical treatment of all people, regardless of immigration status.
Over the next year, the checklist will feature actions that focus on ICE. Specifically, we will:
- oppose constitutional violations and inhumane treatment of immigrants by ICE, and
- provide caring outreach to detainees.
This daunting-but-vital issue needs our attention.
Read: Imprisoned Justice, an in-depth 2017 report on the conditions of two Georgia ICE detention centers. At minimum, please read the executive summary on pages 5-6.
Deep breath innnnnnn… Deep breath ouuuuuuuut… And again…
Acts of Gratitude
Ready? Grab your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail!
Thank Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) for admirable leadership on behalf of all Americans. For being among the few Republicans publicly calling for Moore to step down. For showing Congress the importance of basic math in the tax bill. I appreciate your consistent willingness to act with integrity.
Address: 68 Sewall Street, Room 507, Augusta, ME 04330
Thank President Macron and Angela Merkel for their decisive actions to reverse climate change, in spite of Mr. Trump pulling out the Paris Agreement. As an American, I disagree with his actions and am making changes to reduce my personal impact on the climate. Thank you for your leadership for the good of all.
Address: President Macron, 55, Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, 75008 Paris, France
Address: Bundeskanzleramt, Bundeskanzlerin, Angela Merkel, Willy-Brandt-Straße 1, 10557 Berlin, Germany
Note: International mail requires $1.15 in stamps.
Thank Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) for introducing legislation that addresses violent extremism in the US. Many leaders are ignoring domestic terrorism and violent hate groups, and tolerance condones them. Thank you for advocating for accountability, prevention, and putting citizens’ well-being first.
Address: 525 S. 8th Street, Springfield, IL 62703
Thought-provoking, in-depth reading that’s worth your time.
- Understanding America’s cultural free-fall (NY Times).
- How to stop Russian political influence (New Yorker).
- Inspiring interview with Jesuit founder of largest US gang-intervention program (NPR).
- A federal judge rules that the Justice Department cannot withhold money from Philadelphia for refusing to use its staff to assist ICE.
- Almost 1.5 million Americans have already signed up for ACA in just two weeks!
- So many brave women have come forward that the US Congress is having bipartisan conversations about how prevent sexual harassment.
- The shortest, tiniest rebellion in the Pentagon was a deleted tweet calling for the president’s resignation.
- Senators take first bipartisan legislative steps toward common-sense gun protection.
- A Republican and a Democrat in Washington state launch a new, centrist political party.
- Florida citizens are succeeding at banning “conversion therapy” for LGBTQ youth.
- Exxon plans to reduce methane leaks which contribute to global warming.
- Asian-American and Pacific Island-Americans demonstrate for a clean Dream Act outside Paul Ryan’s office.
- Tribal activists are renewing their peaceful fight against the Keystone XL pipeline (donate).
- Colin Kaepernick receives recognition for opposing police brutality while athletes advocate for his employment in the NFL.
- After 45 years in prison, an innocent man is finally free.
- Southern Poverty Law Center is a step closer to exposing ICE’s constitutional violations.
- Morongo Band of Mission Indians gives away 10,000 turkeys to over 100 nonprofits in their annual Thanksgiving event.
- Tech experts urge ICE to abandon extreme vetting plan.
- Cards Against Humanity buys land on the border to thwart a wall.
- See more good news at Small Victories, Marla’s Good News, and What Went Right.
If you found this checklist useful, please spread the word!
Tweet: Good news, gratitude, and clear steps to #resist this week: https://goo.gl/Eo7AKw
Email and Facebook: Good news, gratitude, and clear steps to #resist this week: https://goo.gl/Eo7AKw
Leave a Reply