In what has become a well-received annual meeting topic, member and recent judicial appointee Tom Long will elaborate on U C Irvine Law School Dean, Erwin Chemerinsky’s 2015-16 Supreme Court Review video. Chemerinsky has been even more in the news lately in defense of Ruth Bader-Ginsberg and also due to his article that described Trump as a greater threat to the rule of law than any other political candidate he has seen in his lifetime.
In addition to Chemerinsky, the panelists include Federick Lawrence, former Dean of George Washington Law School and expert on civil rights law, and Dahlia Lithwick, attorney, editor at Slate Magazine and frequent guest on The Rachael Maddow Show. All commented on how decisions were changed due to the 4:4 philosophical split as a result of Justice Scalia’s death and the failure of the Senate to consider President Obama’s pick to replace him, Merrick Garland. One scary scenario; what would happen if the Presidential election ended up in that court as it did in the 2000 election?!
The following cases are discussed in the video:
- Evenwal v. Abbott (Texas voting rights)
- Fisher v. Univ of Texas (affirmative action)
- Friedrichs v. Calif. Teacher’s Association (labor union protections)
- United States v. Texas (immigration)
- Whole Women’s Health v. Hellerstadt (abortion restrictions)
- Zubik v. Burwell (health insurance provider and contraceptives)
Leave a Reply