February 21, 2016
Topic: Climate Change: The Effects of El Nino
Speakers: Tanya Finney, Superintendent, South Coast Botanic Garden
Kristi Fera, Education Coordinator, Marine Mammal Care Ctr
January 17, 2016
Topic: Local Issues and Upcoming Elections
- Tom Long, former Mayor, RPV
Erik Bauman, Chair, LA County Democratic Party
and Vice Chair of the California Democratic Party
November 15, 2015
Policy & Political Issues Impacting Voters Over 50
and Common Causes’ Legislative Priorities
- -Ernie Powell, Senior Votes Count
-Sylvia Moore, Common Cause, Southern California
October 18, 2015
Topics: Port of Los Angeles Environmental Issues and Health Hazards at the Exxon/Mobil refinery in Torrance
-Christopher Cannon, Director of Environmental Management and Chief Sustainability Officer, Port of Los Angeles
-Connie Sullivan, Torrance Refinery Action Alliance
September 20, 2015
Topic: Groundswell Rising (a documentary)
This documentary describes the negative effects of fracking, and the positive actions residents have taken in response to this destructive activity in their neighborhoods.
August 16, 2015
Topic: 2015 Supreme Court Rulings
Back by popular demand, former RPV mayor and attorney Tom Long wi used Erwin Chemerinsky’s annual SCOTUS review to present the ramifications of the 2015 Supreme Court decisions.
June 14, 2015
Topics: “Carbon Fee and Dividend” and “Community Choice Aggregation”
-Edric Guise, Citizen’s Climate Lobby, described the bipartisan appeal of charging a fee at the source of carbon extraction, and then returning that money to the citizens.
-Joe Galliani, Clean Water Working group, explained the benefits of allowing consumers to choose clean electricity options through the regular power grid.
May 17, 2015
Topics: Pay2Play: Democracy’s High Stakes
- This powerful documentary highlights the undue influence of money in politics.
April 17, 2015
Topics: “Marine Protected Areas” and “California Water Crisis”
- -Mike Schaadt, Director, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, described the protected areas off our coast.
- -Harold Williams, Director, West Basin Water District 1, explained the recycled water his agency provides.
- -Jim Knight, Mayor, Rancho Palos Verdes, described his city’s response to the state water mandates.
March 15, 2015
Topics: The Disclose Act; The Armenin Genocide
- -D’Marie Mulattieri, Field Organizer for the California Clean Money Campaign, spoke about AB 700 The California Disclose Act.
- -Frank Zerunyan, Jr., USC Professor, spoke about the Armenian Genocide