Looking for things to do to celebrate Earth Day? Consider these activities:
- Long Beach—Earth Day Festival for aquarium visitors on the weekend of April 23–24 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Aquarium of the Pacific: 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, 90802. Learn what you can do to help our ocean planet at the aquarium’s 15th annual Earth Day festival. Join us for a weekend of family fun celebrating the Earth while learning easy, everyday tips to protect the environment. Visit booths from various Earth-friendly organizations and participate in hands-on learning demonstrations for people of all ages. An aquarium admission fee will be charged, but the event is free for Aquarium of the Pacific members.
- Long Beach—Long Beach Children’s Day and Earth Day Sunday, May 1, beginning at 10 a.m. at El Dorado Park in Long Beach. The event, now in its 20th year, will be filled with fun, uplifting, and educational activities. Enjoy arts and crafts and lots of games, too. Guests can enjoy food booths and two entertainment stages. A children’s parade inside the park begins at 1 p.m.
- Manhattan Beach—Earth Day Celebration and Concert Saturday, April 30, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Earth Day will be celebrated at Polliwog Park, Manhattan Beach (Map). Enjoy live entertainment, speakers and presentations on the Eco-Education State, a composting class, children’s activities, an eco-shopping area, free bike valet parking, food and beverage vendors, an alternative fuel vehicle display, e-waste and printer toner cartridge recycling, and more.
- San Pedro–Families enjoy this volunteer day beautifying a native plant demonstration garden and trails, taking a guided nature walk, and creating art taught by Art At Your Fingertips. The event will kick off at 9am with activities starting at staggered times at the WhitePoint Nature Preserve at 1600 W. Paseo del Mar, San Pedro. Free and open to the public. Light breakfast snack provided by Starbucks. Call (310) 541-7613 to RSVP and visit www.pvplc.org for more information.
- Santa Monica—Earth Month Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanup Saturday, April 16, from 10 a.m. to noon at Santa Monica Beach at Ocean Park, 2600 Barnard Way (at the end of Ocean Park), Santa Monica, 90405. Love the beach? Clean it up! Nothin’ But Sand is a fantastic opportunity to show your local beach some love every third Saturday of the month. It’s easy, it’s fun, and it kicks off your weekend with some excellent karma. Singles, couples, groups, and businesses are welcome, and you’re encouraged to bring your friends—or make some new ones. See you at the beach!
- Torrance—City of Torrance Earth Day Recycling Event is Saturday, April 23, from 8 a.m. to noon at the Toyota Employee Parking Lot (Intersection of 190th Street and Van Ness Avenue). Free paper shredding, free electronics and clothes drop-off, and a used oil recycling and filter exchange